8 Fun Facts for National Hot Dog (or Sausage Links) Month
Summer is officially here. July is right around the corner. It’s a wonderful time of year. Kids are out of school. The nights stretch on filled with outdoor activities and gatherings with your friends, neighbors and family. Maybe you’re taking to the road for a summer vacation or taking advantage of the haven that is your own backyard. No matter where your summer adventures land you, there’s a good chance they’ll include firing up the grill. When you do, we hope hot dogs make the menu, especially in July when it’s National Hot Dog Month.
Hot dogs (or Sausage Links as we like to call them here at DM) are sometimes dismissed by adults as the official summer treat for the kids but we urge you to step up your grilling game this year and give REAL hot dogs a chance this summer. As always, the key is to start with all natural ingredients that are free from hormones, antibiotics, and GMO-Free. In addition to these healthy features, Dutch Meadows pork is raised in open pastures and fed excess skim milk, which serves as a high quality source of protein. Now that we’ve shared some important information about Dutch Meadows’ hot dog products, here are some additional fun facts to get you excited for hot dog season and National Hot Dog Month - July!
- The hot dog is believed to be invented by Charles Feltman in 1870 on the notorious Coney Island boardwalk.
- Los Angeles eats more hot dogs than any other city.
- On Independence Day, Americans are expected to enjoy 150 million hot dogs, enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. more than five times.
- Hot dogs were one of the first foods eaten on the moon.
- Hot Dogs were first sold at baseball games in 1893.
- The world’s longest hot dog was 668 feet long, enough to cover two football fields.
- Frankfurt, Germany claims to be the originator of the hot dog and celebrated the hot dog’s 500th birthday in 1987.
- During peak hot dog season, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Americans are expected to consume 7 billion hot dogs.
We're sure those fun facts piqued your appetite, so feel free to satisfy it properly with gourmet selections from Dutch Meadows. Did you know we have Chorizo, Maple Breakfast, Country Style (Sugar Free), and more?!